A combined security operation has led to the arrest of a notorious kidnap gang leader, identified as Yusuf Muhamed, in Orokam, Ogbadibo Local Government Area of Benue State.
Residents said Muhamed, along with his gang, had been terrorising communities in the council area, prompting the local government chairman to impose a dusk-to-dawn curfew.
One resident, Mike Agbo, told journalists that the suspect was caught during the week.
“The victims of the gang identified him as the officer in charge of torture at their camp. They said they easily recognised him because of his bad left hand,” Agbo explained.
Confirming the incident in a telephone interview on Saturday, Chairman of Ogbadibo LGA, Sunday Ajunwa, said the arrest was made possible through joint efforts of police operatives from Benue and Enugu States, supported by local vigilantes.
“It is true that Yusuf has been arrested. He attempted to flee but the youths pursued and caught him. Those he kidnapped confirmed how he tortured them while in captivity,” Ajunwa said.
The chairman revealed that the suspected kingpin and 21 other suspects are currently in police custody. He added that while security in the area has improved, the curfew he imposed from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. remains in place.
“The situation is stable, but I am considering lifting the curfew after consultations with security agencies and stakeholders,” Ajunwa noted.
When contacted, the Benue State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Udeme Edet, said she was yet to receive an official briefing.
“Please, what do you want to confirm? I’m yet to confirm it. When I get the report, it will be made public,” she said.