Kaduna govt rejects kidnap ranking

3 Min Read

The Kaduna State Government has dismissed a recent report that ranked the state among those with the highest number of kidnapping incidents in Nigeria, describing the publication as misleading and an attempt to discredit ongoing peace efforts.

A security report by Lagos-based geopolitical research firm, SB Morgen, alleged that at least 629 residents were abducted in Kaduna between July 2024 and June 2025, placing the state among the worst-hit by banditry and abductions nationwide.

But reacting in a statement on Thursday, the Commissioner-Designate for Information, Malam Ahmed Maiyaki, faulted the figures, insisting they were fabricated.

“The publication by SB Morgen is false, mischievous and irresponsible. It is a figment of the imagination of its authors, deliberately orchestrated to discredit the Kaduna Peace Model, which has been endorsed by security agencies and stakeholders as a success story,” Maiyaki said.

According to him, Governor Uba Sani’s administration has recorded significant progress in restoring peace to previously troubled areas, noting that over 500,000 hectares of abandoned farmlands had been recovered, while long-shut livestock markets in Birnin Gwari and Giwa were now operational again.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Dr. Suleiman Shuaibu, also gave updates on recent operations.

He revealed that in April alone, security agencies carried out 34 operations leading to the arrest of 54 suspects and the rescue of more than 75 kidnap victims.

“Several criminal hideouts have been dismantled, and prosecutions are ongoing to ensure justice. The reopening of major livestock markets after over a decade of closure is proof that peace is returning,” Shuaibu said.

He added that the government’s peace and security strategy blends kinetic military action with dialogue, community engagement, and socio-economic empowerment. This includes the Kaduna Peace Dialogue Group, which provides a platform for the reintegration of repentant bandits.

While urging residents to ignore the SB Morgen report, the government reaffirmed its commitment to citizens’ safety.

“The safety and well-being of our people remain paramount. We call on the public to disregard the purported kidnapping ranking and instead join hands in fostering vigilance, resilience and sustainable peace,” Maiyaki said.

Share This Article
Exit mobile version