Police, Army launch joint probe into Bauchi soldier’s death

3 Min Read

The Bauchi State Police Command says it has commenced a joint investigation with the Nigerian Army into the fatal shooting of a Guard Commander, Warrant Officer Ali Haruna, in Alkaleri Local Government Area of the state.

Haruna was allegedly shot on August 25 by Inspector Yusuf Ibrahim, a police officer attached to a mining firm in Futuk village.

The incident occurred during the interception of a truck conveying mining materials.

Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ahmed Wakil, confirmed the development in a statement on Friday, describing some online reports about the matter as “misleading and misrepresenting the facts of the incident.”

According to Wakil, preliminary findings revealed that the truck belonged to Guruje Mining Company Limited and ZURFI Company Limited, both of which possess valid licences to extract lead and zinc in Gwana, Alkaleri LGA.

“These companies have complied with all mining operational protocols of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act of 2007 and possess a certificate of incorporation pursuant to the Companies and Allied Matters Act of 2020,” Wakil stated.

He explained that mobile policemen were officially deployed to the mining sites to secure expatriate staff and operations, adding that the officer linked to the shooting was one of those assigned to the duty post.

The command further noted that the companies had already extracted substantial quantities of lead and zinc for export and had paid the required fees to the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development.

Wakil added: “A dedicated investigation team of experienced detectives in collaboration with the Nigerian Army Military Police has been tasked with collecting and assessing all relevant information surrounding this unfortunate incident’s remote and immediate causes.”

The injured Guard Commander was rushed to the Gombe Specialist Hospital but later died from gunshot wounds to the abdomen.

Commissioner of Police in Bauchi, Sani-Omolori Aliyu, while condoling with the Nigerian Army, said: “The command, and indeed the entire officers and men, extend our deepest condolences to the Commander, 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, and to the family and loved ones of the deceased officer.”

The command appealed to members of the public to avoid sensational narratives and rely on official sources for updates.

TAGGED:
Share This Article